According to The Hollywood Reporter, MGM is planning a NEW RED DAWN MOVIE! That begs the question, who will be the new invaders? It is being reported by those that have seen scripts that it will be the Red Chinese, who knocks off America in the first 20 pages, and gets help from the Russians later in the movie. The cause of the invasion? Oil, of course. There are hints that America is kinda to blame, too. In today’s PC environment, that’s not too much of a surprise.
First though, a little about myself and Red Dawn. I've met a lot of people who have told me they have a quirky little movie from their childhood (that most of the time I have never heard of) that greatly influenced their lives. In my case, it was Red Dawn, the Cold War, Reagan-era movie about the Soviets and company invading the American Homeland, only to be fought off by a band of high schoolers led by Patrick Swayze.
In my case of course, Red Dawn is anything but quirky. It's an in-your-face movie about what could happen to America if the Left got its way in the argument about guns and butter.
I have always been very patriotic and grateful about the United States. In 1984, when Red Dawn hit movie theaters with a vengeance, the US and the Soviet Union were at the height of the Cold War. Mr. Reagan was forcing the issue and determined to see the Soviet Union fall. It was frustrating to me to see all the Liberals decry the "improbable" scenario and message of the movie. What, the United States is a "given" - it's stupid to even entertain the thought about its demise?! Far from it.
The Soviet Union is gone, or is it? McCain sees the KGB in the eyes of Putin. There's talk about Russian nuclear bombers returning to Cuba. There's talk of an alliance between Russia and Venezuela. But that's just talk. There are many new, real threats to the United States - EMP and economic collapse, bank holidays ( a la FDR ), gas shortages, Islamic terrorism, mass illegal immigration and China to name a few. I worry a lot for the United States. So many Americans take our security for granted, when in fact there are now so many ways the American Dream could end almost overnight. If I can have just one public-service mission in life, it is to remind Americans about the fragility of our times and that their standing up for, and reclaiming their Rights is our saving grace.
With that being said, let's get to the question about who will invade America in the new Red Dawn movie. My picks if the unofficial info above should prove untrue:
1. If it's a remake in the old mold, but in current times, the Russians are still available as the bad guys. Here's the scenario in the first Red Dawn as told at the beginning of the movie:
"Soviet Union suffers worst wheat harvest in 55 years... Labor and food riots in Poland. Soviet troops invade... Cuba and Nicaragua reach troop strength goals of 500,000. El Salvador and Honduras fall... Greens Party gains control of West German Parliament. Demands withdrawal of nuclear weapons from European soil... Mexico plunged into revolution... NATO dissolves. United States stands alone."
Some of this is still relevant - withdrawal of nukes, food shortages, etc. Throw in a few new/old things like gasoline shortages, the Russian/Venezuela alliance (plus a few other Left-leaning S. American countries), and the Colombianization of Mexico and you have yourself a new Red Dawn.
2. America's new real enemy is supposedly the coming-of-age Chinese, the new human-rights abusers with a penchant for new military hardware (designed to defeat American military hardware) and long-range plans to reclaim Taiwan by whatever means necessary. A nuclear first-strike by China on America could ultimately be followed by millions of Chinese invading what's left of American high schools.
3. Al Qaeda: Wow, that would be great to see some American high schoolers kicking Al Qaeda's butt! However, I just don't see an Islamic confederacy making it to the United States for an invasion anytime soon.
4. The European Union, led by a UN resolution condemning America for some "future transgression," invades America to teach us a lesson about the right to bear arms, nuclear weapons, the death penalty and other "non-European" things.
5. Balkanization: Have an EMP attack knock out all electronics in America, or a gasoline stoppage that shuts down the American economy, and watch how the United States "balkanizes" in the breadth of a week! In this scenario, the bad guys are all the minorities in America (including millions of illegals already here), fighting against each other and the "majority" for remaining resources. Politically incorrect, but very scary because such a scenario could actually happen.
6. Communist Mexico, with a little help from their Russian, Chinese, Cuban and Venezuelan friends, invades America to reclaim Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and California. Search "Aztlan" on the Internet, or ask any Border Patrol agent, and you'll know what I'm talking about. In fact, Mexico already has about 10 million "sleeper-agents" in the United States.
7. Fictional enemy. I hope the screenwriters don't wuss out and give us a fictional enemy from Maldoviakia, San Sebastilono or something stupid like that. Ultimately, to recapture the zeitgeist of the first movie, the threat needs to be a real and present threat.