Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A list of pro-active things we can do to stop S.1959

If we all had to choose the most important issues to focus on, out of the many which currently face us, I suggest that there are no two more important matters to focus our energies on than to a) stop the passage of S.1959, the Violent Radicalization and Homegrown Terrorism Act, and b) push for impeachment of Cheney first.

Here is a letter that I have sent to one of my Senators:

Dear Senator Bayh,

I am as pensive writing you on this issue as I was in my email to Representative Joe Donnelly on HR 1955. Our country is changing and I am afraid that it is not for the better.

I am in a quandary on how to broach my disappointment that a bill such as S1959 has come before the Senate. Will I be in violation of this bill; should it become law, by doing so? I know that the last section of the bill, "`SEC. 899E. PROTECTING CIVIL RIGHTS AND CIVIL LIBERTIES WHILE PREVENTING IDEOLOGICALLY BASED VIOLENCE AND HOMEGROWN TERRORISM.", outlines (hopefully) that the bill cannot be enforced if doing so would violate constitutional rights, subject to an audit of the circumstances surrounding the charge. In light of other “laws”,( NSPD-51, HSPD-20 & HR5122 ), that have "stretched" rights and taken power not granted by the Constitution in the interests of "security" please understand my concern.

Since the bill doesn't specifically define what an extremist belief system is, it is entirely up to the interpretation of the government. Considering how much the government has done, in my opinion, to cripple the Constitution they could even define Ron Paul supporters as promoting an extremist belief system. Literally, the government according to this definition can define whatever they want as an extremist belief system. Essentially it has defined violent radicalization as thought crime.

To see that such a huge majority of The House voted for HR1955 is disturbing. That all but one Representative from Indiana voted to pass this is nothing short of a call on how out of touch they are with what the people they are suppose to represent actually feel. I am hoping against hope that the Senate does not follow suit.

I, myself, have been at fault for not voicing my opinions earlier. Like so many I have sat back and hoped that those I helped to elect into office were going to do what was best for us. I can see the fallacy of these thoughts now. I just hope that others do also.

From your time as Governor of my state I know that you are a good and a fair man. I know that you and your Dad before you have always tried to do what is best in the interest of those that you represent.

Senator Bayh, I believe that S1959 is a bad thing, and I truly am afraid that if it becomes law those in power will not hesitate to abuse the same.

I’m glad for the chance to voice my opinion and I hope that all of us will continue to have that right in the future.

Earnestly,

David M. McDougle


read more | digg story

No comments: