Friday, June 26, 2009

Open letter to Congressman Joe Donnelly On HR-2454

Below is a copy of the message I have sent to my Congressman Joe Donnelly

"Representative Donnelly,

HR 2454, the "Cap-and-Trade" bill scheduled to come before you for a vote very soon, is nothing more than a thinly disguised energy tax that will hit every single American.
I have called and left a message to let you know That I personally am against this and as my representative I ask that you take this into consideration when you vote.
If those I have been talking to locally are any indication a large majority of your constituents have no clue as to the impact this is going to have on their lives if passed. I am hoping that you sir ARE aware.
Even tho the goal of this bill is a lofty one and it may force a change in the way energy is produced in this country, it's counterparts around the world have failed miserably.
President Obama himself claimed in several campaign speeches before the election that if this plan was put into effect it would raise the rates paid for electricity by 100% or more. Mr Obama has also said that the Cap and trade WILL bankrupt the Coal powered electrical plants. Right now 49 % of our electricity nation wide comes from coal, I'm sure I don't have to tell you here in Indiana that number is much higher.

Energy companies will pass the costs of their new regulations through to consumers in the form of huge price increases, meaning higher electric bills, gas prices, and increased costs across the board.

Barack Obama has estimated the costs of this legislation to American taxpayers to be over 650 BILLION dollars over the next eight years, and that figure is no doubt just a fraction of the real cost.
For my family our share figures out around $9000. Not a huge amount spread out over 8 years but then again that's HIS estimate and I'm the one who forced to figure out what my kids can do without to pay for it. Independent sources are putting the real figure at double that or better.

Higher costs of doing business also means companies will be forced to lay off more workers. This current economic crisis is no time for Congress to consider both raising prices on hard-working Americans AND costing them their jobs.
I am a Network administrator for a Non-profit serving the mentally and physically handicapped in Kokomo. We,and other services like us, are trying our best to maintain services for our clients. I know I do not have to enumerate what this town is going thru. This bill will put even more stress on depleted resources and force business to reduce services.

As your constituent, I strongly urge you to stand up for the American people by opposing HR 2454.

Thank You,
David McDougle"

No comments: