Learning Contentment When We Can Do Nothing

 


The secret Paul learned in every state

Paul wrote from prison, “I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound… I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” (Philippians 4:11-13). Contentment is not natural. It is learned. And it is often learned most deeply when sickness strips away every ability to “do.”

First Thessalonians 5:16-18 commands us: “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” Notice it does not say give thanks for the sickness as if it were good in itself, but in every thing. The circumstance is real; the thanksgiving is an act of faith that God remains sovereign and good.

Job lost everything and still worshiped. Habakkuk, facing barren fields, still determined to rejoice in the Lord (Habakkuk 3:17-18). The believer who can no longer help anyone else is not exempt from these commands. In fact, the quiet room of recovery can become a school of contentment that busy, productive days never provided.

Contentment does not mean pretending we feel strong. It means resting in the One who is strong when we are not. It means believing that the God who supplies all our need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19) is still supplying, even when the supply looks like rest, medicine, and the help of others.

DMMC 

8-15-26

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dialysis Day with Dave

The Hidden Sons of Abraham: Prophetic Promises of Redemption and End-Times Glory

The Red Horse of Judgment: Biblical Prophecy and Its Urgent Implications for Today