Physical Fear, Spiritual Peace: Trusting the God Who Holds Both Body and Soul

 


So much has happened in the last few days, and I’m still trying to soak it all in. Thursday morning I sat with the heart surgeon at IU Methodist in Indianapolis. They told me they can help me. On the 26th of this month I will go in for double-bypass surgery.


I am more than a little scared physically. Spiritually, I know I have nothing to fear. Convincing my mind of that truth is the hard part. If someone had told me even a couple of years ago that a man could feel genuine physical dread and yet rest in complete spiritual peace at the same time, I would have thought they were talking nonsense. But the closer I walk with the Lord, the more I see that the two can truly dwell in the same body. The outward man and the inward man are not the same thing.


Scripture has been preparing us for this reality all along. Paul wrote, “For which cause we faint not; but though our outward man perish, yet the inward man is renewed day by day” (2 Corinthians 4:16). The body can be breaking down while the spirit is being strengthened. Jesus Himself told us not to fear those who can kill the body but are not able to kill the soul (Matthew 10:28). Our God is not limited to the physical realm. He is Lord of both the temporary tent we live in and the eternal house He has prepared for us (2 Corinthians 5:1).


A dear friend who went through this exact same surgery shared his mindset with me. He knew there were only two possible outcomes when they put him under: he would either wake up in the presence of his Lord or wake up in the presence of his wife. When he first opened his eyes and saw the bright lights above him, he thought for a moment he had already gone home—and he was ready for that too. That is the quiet confidence Scripture gives us. Whether we live or die, we are the Lord’s (Romans 14:8).


I do ask the Lord to bring me through this surgery. I have some trepidation because I have been in the process of moving in with my oldest son, his wonderful wife Heidi, and all those grandkids. I never wanted to arrive as a recovering patient who needs care. I never want to be a burden to anyone. I am praying that God will grant a smooth operation and a quick recovery so I can get back to being a granddad who helps rather than one who needs helping.


The same God who numbers the hairs of our head (Matthew 10:30) and who neither slumbers nor sleeps (Psalm 121:4) is the God who will walk with me into that operating room. He has carried me through years of kidney failure, dialysis, and surgery already. He is able to keep that which I have committed unto Him (2 Timothy 1:12). His peace truly does pass understanding and is able to guard both heart and mind (Philippians 4:7).


Please keep me in your prayers—for steady hands on the surgical team, for the Lord’s covering over every detail, and for a recovery that lets me serve my family again soon. And while you pray for me, ask the Lord to teach your own heart the same dichotomy: that our bodies may tremble while our spirits rest in the unshakable care of the One who holds both.


In the strong name of Jesus,  

 Dave McDougle


8/16/26

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Dialysis Day with Dave

The Hidden Sons of Abraham: Prophetic Promises of Redemption and End-Times Glory

The Red Horse of Judgment: Biblical Prophecy and Its Urgent Implications for Today